Athletics Expanding with Wrestling, Knights Field
FA is providing more ways for scholars to stay active and learn healthy habits! Last month, we launched an after-school wrestling program run by Trenton Youth Wrestling and in December, we opened Knights Field, a turf soccer practice field.
FA Scholars Join Trenton Youth Wrestling Family
For more than a month, about a dozen FA scholars have been staying after school to learn new skills and work hard. But this time, we’re not talking about academics – we’re talking wrestling.
EJ Nemeth, who teaches gym K-8 at FA, is also head wrestling coach at Notre Dame High School in Lawrenceville. Recently, he teamed up with FA Athletic Director Chris Torino and the Bethea family of Trenton to enable our scholars in grades 3-8 to participate in the Trenton Youth Wrestling program.
TYW supplies the mats, headgear, shoes, singlets, and coaching, Coach Nemeth said. “All our kids have to do is show up.”
TYW is affiliated with the U.S. Olympic Committee through membership in USA Wrestling. TYW coaches come to FA twice a week to train our scholars and nurture the ideas of citizenship, competitive greatness and scholar athleticism.
Ray Bethea, TYW director of operations, said Trenton Youth Wrestling focuses on promoting and developing three values:
- Character - being a person of integrity who makes the right choices
- Commitment - giving full effort regardless of circumstances
- Community - caring for teammates, classmates, friends, and those around you.
“We seek to teach life skills that will help our wrestlers to be prepared for success in wrestling, the classroom and life,” Mr. Bethea said. “Wrestling helps promote and improve academic achievement, and builds confidence in individuals.”
Coach Nemeth agrees. Encouraging our scholars to try something new, be active and learn life lessons is the goal.
“Wrestling is one the most demanding things a person can do in their life--it requires sacrifice, determination, and perseverance; amongst many other attributes,” he said. “The lessons learned through this sport, both in practice and in competition, are invaluable.”
Knights Field Open for Fun
After years of planning, months of construction and weeks of anticipation, Foundation Academies is proud to announce Knights Field has OPENED FOR FUN!
The state-of-the-art turf soccer practice field – half a regulation soccer pitch – is designed for Middle School team practice as well as K-8 gym classes, and recess play.
“This beautiful field enhances the opportunities we have to show scholars fun ways to be active and stay healthy,” said CEO Sheria McRae. “I love that we can provide more outdoor play space for our scholars and empower them to lead healthy lifestyles.”
Plus, the turf surface – featuring the FA emblem – will enable play in almost any weather.
Until now, MS soccer players had to find rides to the Capital sports complex miles away from campus for practice. And young scholars had no open play space. The new field also is available for Collegiate team practice.
“We also hope to use the field to connect with the local community to continue showing we are all here and do all this for the amazing youth of Trenton,” said FA Athletic Director Chris Torino.
“Having the opportunity to practice on turf helps us prepare for the high level of competition we face in our soccer league,” he added. “It also increases the potential of introducing sports such as lacrosse, which most FA students have never experienced.”
School leaders and community leaders gathered Dec. 1 to officially dedicate Knights Field with a ribbon-cutting ceremony, followed by K-8 scholars taking a first lap.
Read more! The February 2023 Newsletter, Continued
- Our Friends of FA Impact Report newsletter highlights the difference your gift makes. Read more in the Impact Newsletter here.
- The FA Parent Resources webpage includes important information and links to needed forms. Make sure your contact information is current!
- Got mail? We send all FAmilies an email on the first Wednesday of each month with important announcements. Check your inbox & if you don’t see it, please share your contact info with the Front Office.
- Be informed about important local and statewide issues that directly impact the continued success of charter schools with updates from the New Jersey Public Charter Schools Association (NJPCSA). Let us know if you would like more information on being a parent ambassador for FA.